Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

Hello! Could you compare S corp vs LLC? My business is a

Could you compare S corp vs LLC? My business is a roofing repair contractor.
Which one is better in terms of Tax and Protection?

Thank you!
Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Both off the same personal protections because both are corporations - that owners are only liable to the extent of their investment into the corporation (S or LLC).

LLC (Limited Liability Company) and an S corporation are both corporate structures that, in the United States, allow pass-through taxation. The main differences between an S corp. and LLC are:

• S corporations are more restrictive on who the shareholders (owners) of the company can be.
  • S corporations are required to pay a salary to those owners who work for the company and own more than 2% of the company. In contrast, LLCs are not obligated to pay a salary to its members (owners). This has tax implications for some companies like single-person ventures.
  • S corporations are required to maintain and file formal records for the board and shareholder meetings.
  • S corporations are allowed to have only one class of stock.
  • It is a little easier to set up employee stock option plans for S corporations than for LLCs.

I would opt for an LLC rather than the sub S - it's easier to manage and operate and doesn't have the formal requirements of a sub S.

For both you would still be required to have adequate insurance to cover your business and operations.