Legalease
Legalease, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience corps, LLC's and partnerships; preparation, negotiation of complex contracts and business agreements
20355756

Where can I find out who the owners are of a Virginia LLC?

Hello there

-

Every LLC and corporation must file registration papers with the state of Virginia agency called The State Corporation Commission (SCC for short). In the registration paperwork for an LLC, the LLC must disclose who the members of the LLC are (members is the term used for an OWNER for an LLC) and their percentage of ownership if it is not an equal split between the owners. You can perform a search of the SCC records for the name of the LLC that you are looking for and if the LLC is current in all of their filings with the state and current in all their payments, then the LLC should be listed in the SCC website as an active LLC in the state of Virginia.

-

Here is a link to the website for the SCC for Virginia and it has detailed instructions regarding business entities in VA on the first page of the website -- as well as instructions on how to find what you are looking for. I realize that you stated that you searched the Secretary of State website in Virginia -- but it appears that the LLC registration and information is not collected by or retained by the Secretary of State's office directly and so you may have been on the wrong website searching for the information ?? Many states LLC and corporation registration databases ARE contained within the office of the Secretary of State for that state -- but that is not the case in Virginia -- where the state has established a separate state agency in order to handle the filings of all of the registrations of LLC's and corporations in Virginia. So, here is the link to the correct website that you need to search:

http://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/bussrch.aspx

-

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

-

MARY

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. Pressing the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below will NOT cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU !