Elizabeth Prentice
Elizabeth Prentice, Attorney
Experience:  Legal counsel for multitude of businesses; Business Law Professor; Experience as In-House Counsel

Im starting my own business and need to patent my idea, what

Im starting my own business and need to patent my idea, what do i need to do and how much is it going to cost,
I am an attorney and I would be happy to assist you. Attorney fees vary, depending on the type of patent and the work needed to be done. If you plan to hire an attorney, make sure you retain an attorney that has passed the Patent Bar Exam.

If you plan to file your patent yourself, you should start by reading through the brochures at the You and your business partner are smart to patent your idea quickly. Patents can sometimes take years to get approved, but at least having your patent pending will provide you protection. The fees to file vary widely, since there are many different types of patents and types of businesses. Small entities receive a reduced fee of 50%. Some patents are for utility and others are for design. You can find the current patent fee schedule for your application here:

You can find the applications and the instructions on how to fill them out here (click the 3rd tab - Patents - Basic Process):

An additional recommendation for you when you start pitching your product to investors or a company, is to consider preparing a basic non-disclosure agreement you can bring with you to the meetings. I recommend that you have an attorney who is knowledgeable in your specific field to prepare the document. Before you show off your new invention, you’ll want to have that company sign the nondisclosure agreement promising it won’t steal it. This will provide you an additional layer of protection, to prevent infringers.

I hope my answer has assisted you and that you will provide me a positive rating!