Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

I would like to create a book with short stories. I want to

I would like to create a book with short stories. I want to pay each of the authors of the short stories a set fee. There will also be a few drawings and I want to pay the artists a set fee. What do I need to do legally and what type of contract is needed for each of these authors & artists? What should I be aware of? Some of them are in prison. thank you

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. You will need a contract that is called a work made for hire. This treats the contractor as writing for you and you own the copyright in the story or illustration rather than the writer or illustrator. Here is a link to a sample form you can use as a base.

bizlaw :

bizlaw :

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Hi Dawn,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,if you have any more questions.