Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

Went to a doctor expecting to receive services for my condition. Instead,

Went to a doctor expecting to receive services for my condition.
Instead, they gave me a predated letter saying that they are ending patient/client relationship. They kept my co-pay and billed my insurance a visit. Basically I paid to get kicked out and this letter shows that they intended on doing this 4 days before this visit. I want to sue them to get my co-pay back in small claims court. what is the name of the lawsuit I should use? Fraud,etc?

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. You would sue for failure to provide services and for unjust enrichment on the grounds that they did not provide a service and they have refused to return your co pay even though they provided no service. You should also notify your insurance company about what happened. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer:

yes, i let the insurance no but they have a rule that they will not let us know what the outcome of their investigation is at all so I dont even know if their was an investigation or not. do you think i should send them a letter before I sue them to try to resolve this again or just go straight to the suit?

bizlaw :

You should send another letter and make clear that you are will be filing suit if you do not get a refund of your money within 10 days of the date of the letter. If you do not get your money or a response, file your small claims suit.

Customer:

oh ok, so do i request them to send a check or money order for payment?

bizlaw :

Yes. The reason I say that is they may have collected the co-pays and billed the insurance company to see if they are challenged. If not challenged they are ahead of the game. under threat of suit they may return the funds and this approach is better than taking the time to file suit. There is no legal requirement to send such a letter but there is a practical reason for it. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

bizlaw :

I have to go for a minute

Thank you for the excellent rating. If you have more questions in the future just ask for Bizlaw or start your question with "This is for Bizlaw".
Hi I was just following up to see how you made out. If you have any additional questions or I can help on a different topic let me know.

Bizlaw