Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am a LLC now with a (bad) name. I would like to rebrand

I am a LLC now with a (bad) name. I would like to rebrand without refiling state llc papers. Can I change name and operate as a dba? Also, is Clarity TotalWealth Managment sufficiently different from Clarity Wealth Management so as to now get sued?

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. You can file for an alternative name (dba). As for the proposed name. The two names you list are sufficiently close to raise a concern of confusion in the public as to whether the two companies are the same or related. If you do a fictitious name filing, the recording office will not refuse to register the name because it it too similar to another name. Nonetheless you could still be sued for a trademark violation. I suggest you pick a name more distinct from the one you gave to avoid the problem completely. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer:

"You can file for an alternative name (dba)."

Customer:

"You can file for an alternative name (dba)."- How do I do that, i.e. file that. Do I do it at the state level where I filedd the LLC

bizlaw :

Here is a link to a service that does the filing. You have to have a publication of the fictitious name. This service handles tht also. https://www.floridaregistrations.org/dba-forms-e.html

bizlaw :

If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Hi I was just following up to see how you made out. If you have any additional questions or I can help on a different topic let me know.

Bizlaw