Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

An business colleague (K,Esq. - licensed to practice law in

An business colleague (K,Esq. - licensed to practice law in NY) and her associate (N,Esq. - licensed to practice law in NY & CT) have acquired a Delaware based LLC and have filed for a business license (for the LLC) so that the LLC can operate in NY and CT as reqired. The LLC is involved in corporate based legal work, including use of research associates / paralegals etc., as specific cases may require in NY and/or CT.

To be in a position to provide some occasional informal business mentoring input, we are interested (for our own internal knowledge) in your answer to the following: Namely,what should LLC managing member be mindful of (Re: filing and administrative parameters to adhere to, if the LLC does business in Hartford County CT)? They have been referred to handle a case with contingency fee recovery potential in Hartford County, CT and we informally encouraged them to get some input on CT procedure to follow before LLC proceeds. Thank you.

--- Mr. K
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. If the LLC is engaging in the practice of law you have to be mindful of CT statute 34-119 which requires that each member be a licensed attorney and that representation of clients in CT only be through licensed CT attorneys. Under 34-223 you will have to register your foreign LLC with the Secretary of State. As a registered foreign LLC you will also have to file an annual report. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer:

Re: LLC contingency case in CT regarding the above the following facts apply;

bizlaw :

I see the beginning of your response. I will return later when you finish typing.

Customer:

K,esq. is LLC managing member (NY law license). N,esq. is LLC member (NY & CT law licenses). N,esq. will represent CT contingency case client on behalf of LLC with K,esq. consulting internally (with N) in K,esq. capacity as LLC managing member. LLC may also need to retain the use of paralegals in CT as well as obtain (via subcontract with other entities) other nonlegal contingency case related services such as archive research, case related specialty consultants etc. which will be performed by non legal professionals in subcontract entities. Does the above conform to CT 34-119 ?

bizlaw :

Yes you can do those other activities. However, if non lawyers need to be made members for the non legal services, then those services should be provided by a separate. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer:

seperate what ? seperate LLC ? or seperate agreement ?

bizlaw :

Sorry separate LLC

Customer:

To clarify colleague(s) may need the services of non legal professionals but may not want them as "members" of the main LLC (with K & N) that represents the CT client. Hence the need for non legal professionals working under a seperate LLC (under a subcontract agreement) with K & N lawyer member LLC. Is that ok ?

bizlaw :

The main LLC can hire non legal professionals. You do not need a separate LLC as long as they are not members. Whether the non legal professionals are in a separate LLC or just work for the main LLC is up to you. Either scenario would work.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. I am going to be signing off shortly. Can we electronically forward the original ? and our subsequent chat to K ?

bizlaw :

Yes you can come back to this thread to ask follow up questions. If you have a different question, then it should be in a new post. Just start the post off that it is for Bizlaw and I will see it. If I have answered your question, please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Hi Dave,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,if you have any more questions.
Bizlaw