Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

How do I find out if a Wisconsin LLC is a single member LLC

How do I find out if a Wisconsin LLC is a single member LLC or a multiple member LLC? I've called the proper office at the state capital in Madison, Wisconsin and they said they would have no way of knowing as they do not require LLC's to list it's members.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If you have a pending court case, you can subpeona the company's records, asking them to produce a list of all members. If the case is against the company, then the records could be requested as part of discovery and would not require a subpeona. That's really the only way, if the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions does not have records with that information on their corporations website. You may want to double-check their business fillings first, just in case there's something there that the person you talked to didn't find.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's the situation STIR, LLC in Milwaukee, WI. has made an "in kind" contribution to a candidate for federal office in the amount of $2600.00

If STIR, LLC is NOT a single member LLC it's a violation of Federal Election Commission regulations. If it IS a single member LLC then it's okay.

I'm just trying to keep the candidates on the up and up. There's no case pending, so I can't subpoena company records.

I'll see what I can find on your link.

A lawyer can also issue subpoenas, if you have a local attorney. Another option is to send a letter stating that they are believed to be in violation of regulations and asking that they produce evidence of membership to verify that it's a single member LLC.