Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hello Paul - This past weekend my son was driving his 4 year

Hello Paul - This past weekend my son was driving his 4 year old Jeep Liberty. My 2 Grandsons were in the back seat and fortunately were not hurt. However, he had driven over a man hole cover which is on our road (it is almost flat with the road ) when he heard a loud POP and the passenger window completely blew to pieces. Glass was everywhere. There was no evidence (called Police) of any deliberate action by any individual. It was only the man hole cover. Windows naturally are not supposed to do this as you know. Other than insurance, does he have any potential claim against Jeep or is it just an insurance matter? There was even glass in the baby seats.
Thank you for your new question and for asking for me. I look forward to working with you.

In order to have a claim against Jeep it would have to be for defective design or defective manufacturing and to prove such a claim this would require an engineer to examine this vehicle and make that determination. It could be just a rare occurrence and neither a defect of design or manufacture, but the only way to know that will be with an expert engineer examining the Jeep. Because there were no injuries and the manufacturer (if there were a defect) is strictly liable only for the damages that occurred, this means it could end up costing you more money for an expert than you could collect for the value of the window, since there are no actual injury claims. Thus, economically it would likely be best to make this as an insurance claim.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.