Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

JudgeLaw Is punitive damages the same as treble damages? Attorneys

Is punitive damages the same as treble damages?
Attorney's fees can be rewarded per CA CCP sections 1021 through 1038?
What elements must have for a motion to strike to be granted? Thank you.
Thank you for requesting me.

Yes, treble damages are punitive damages.

Yes, the court has authority to award attorney fees upon motion.

The motion to strike may be brought only to strike for the following reasons: a. To strike “irrelevant, false or improper matter inserted in any pleading” b. To strike a pleading or part of a pleading “not drawn or filed in conformity with the laws of this state, a court rule or order of court.” (C.C.P. § 436). This includes striking an unverified answer to a verified complaint. c. If the case is a limited civil case, motions to strike are only permitted only to strike damages or relief sought that are not supported by the allegations of the complaint. (C.C.P. § 92(d)(e)).

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you and your generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Holly, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.