William B. Esq.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing and advising HOAs, businesses, and individuals.
71563194

Business promotion. Im a billboard printer and am running

Customer Question

Business promotion.

I'm a billboard printer and am running a new promotion where customers where be given a free iPad 2 for every $25,000 they order in "a calender year" I want to make sure the two pages on the site that will be advertising this are "correct" and I'm not exposed.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. What is the question you have?

Customer:

Want to make sure my advertisement is legal and I'm not exposed. How can I send you the pdf?

I had to change to this format because I could not see your response. You can use the paper clip to attach it. I will review it tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Expected answer tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please contact if you can't view attachment.

Expert:  William B. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for choosing just Answer. This is another expert on the forum. I have looked at your proposed pages, and while I must reiterate the statement by the former expert - I cannot practice law by offering a revision or suggested language for any change to your advertisement - I would offer the following suggestions to help ensure that you are not misleading your customers. (I did not see any violation of statutes or regulations, although again for a legal analysis you will need to speak with a local attorney).

Your first page makes no mention that the Free IPad is a promotional program, the "see details" notation is small in comparison to the ad section and makes no mention that this is a rewards program. Similarly on the back page, you bury the information on the free iPad below the other promotional and sales information. (Your goal is to ensure that the customers know what the basic terms are to get the promo item).

There may be other considerations you want to think about regarding "qualifying purchases" etc. if you want to exclude sales items etc. in the future as you will bind yourself to these sales prices in the future. Also, you may not be able to terminate your program at your discretion. This is not a game of chance, rather it is a promotional program where the customer is purchasing product with the expectation of receiving a significant product in return. You may be able to terminate at year end, or terminate with pro-rata compensation mid-year, but you likely cannot terminate at will.

These are observations and general issues of consumer law that apply to promotions. I hope they are helpful, and perhaps may assist you in revising your promotional materials (if you wish to do so at all). I would be more than happy to answer any further questions you may have, and wish you the best of luck with this venture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Would you say this is a step better?

I believe so.
William B. Esq., Attorney
Experience: I am a civil litigation attorney with experience representing and advising HOAs, businesses, and individuals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help

My pleasure. Thank you for using our service, and again, best of luck with the promotion.