CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
71563194

I have a limited liability company incorporated in New York

I have a limited liability company incorporated in New York which does business in Virginia state. I understand I need a "certificate of good standing" from both states on an annual basis. I just wanted to confirm that this is indeed true and how do i get these certificates?

Attorney William B. :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Attorney William B. :

To operate an LLC in two different states you will need to have a filing of a "foreign entity" for the state where the LLC is not originally organized. In your case, you are organized in New York, and you need to file as a "foreign entity" in Virginia. Once you have done this you can request a certificate of good standing from both states (you can already request one in New York).

Customer:

I already registered the LLC in Virginia. Is "filing of a "foreign entity"" in Virginia a different procedure.

Attorney William B. :

No, that is the same process I was talking about. If you are already registered, you can simply request a certificate of good standing from the Secretary of State. This simply means that you have paid your annual fees, there are no regulatory violations against your business, and that your business is still allowed to conduct business in the state.

Attorney William B. :

You can find the appropriate forms and fees here: http://www.scc.virginia.gov/clk/copy.aspx

Customer:

ok thanks