Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

I borrowed money from a friend and it was 200k I gave back

I borrowed money from a friend and it was 200k I gave back part of the money and I lost the rest of the money in stock market and I have nothing to give him and their was no contract between us what is the law saying in this case
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

If your friend chooses, they would need to sue you for the remaining balance. With a judgment they can garnish your wages, bank accounts or attach other property to satisfy the judgment. Unfortunately for them, if you have no assets available to pay the judgment, there is not much else they can do about it.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I have nothing to return for him can put me in jail
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX following up with me.

No, you can not be put in jail for a debt. There is no debtors' prison.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, Selina, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.