Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

California litigation question. If a Chinese supplier is owed

California litigation question. If a Chinese supplier is owed $800k and sues us, how long until the case is heard? We have legitimate defense in taking credit for intellectual property, interference with trade (stealing our customers), equipment & materials... How long will it take to be heard in San Francisco if we defend vigorously? My understanding is that the courts are molasses and it could take many months. They will ask for expedited relief, which we would defend...
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Currently, depending on the complexity of the litigation and how much discovery is needed, the average time between filing suit and trial is anywhere from 12-24 months at the least in San Francisco. If there is little to no discovery, you are still looking at 9-12 months.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you practice in San Francisco and/or San Jose? Is this about the same in San Jose?

I practice in neither regularly. I do have friends that practice in SF, not San Jose and this is what I am told the average times are, which again vary on an individual case basis based on complexity and discovery needs.