Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not understand the statement that "you must prove

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not understand the statement that "you must prove each element of the fraud claim or you will be liable for contractual damages" What does this mean, if I claim fraud and I am not successful, meaning the jury does not believe it was fraud, then i have to pay damages? Why do you call them contractual damages, what contract are you referring to?

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Maybe I stated that wrong.

What I meant to say was - that if you can't prove all the elements of fraud - then you would be resigned only to a breach of contract action damages.

As you stated - if you can get the judge/jury to find that fraud had occurred - there are benefits:

1) punative damages
2) emotional distress and pain and suffering
3) not dischargeable in bankruptcy
4) can pierce the corporate veil