J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

Hello, I have a client that I provided software development

Hello, I have a client that I provided software development services to. Their software is live and they are using it now. However, they went through paypal where they paid and disputed all of the money they paid to me which resulted in a chargeback since they used their credit card. I have sent supporting documentation and paypal is fighting the battle with the credit card company for me. What are my chances? This is ridiculous.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

Sorry to hear about your situation and is ridiculous not to be paid for services you provided. Allowing the credit card company a reasonable time to resolve the situation is the right place to start. If you provided the services the business contracted for and are using the services and product then the credit card company should deny the disputed claim and strike the charge back. The client/consumer must also establish good faith effort to resolve a dispute with a merchant/service provider.

If however the funds are not credited back to you and the amount owed to you is less than $6,000 the easiest route would be to take the client to small claims seeking a judgment in the amount of the services you provided. If the amount is over $6,000 you would have to bring a suit in district court.

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a 2 or 1 rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" or “continue conversation” tab.

All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the problem is the client is not in the same state

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
That does pose a jurisdiction issue for bringing a claim and probably further frustrates you on the matter. In that case you could bring a claim in their home state where they are registered to do business or by some chance be able to catch them physically in your state to serve them.

At this point keep in contact with PayPal so the matter stays fresh and is continued to be monitored and puts pressure on the credit card issuer to deny dispute based on an invalid claim.

I apologize that this was probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

All my best & encouragement.

J. Warren, Attorney
Experience: Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.