socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

im considering starting 1 or 2 different businesses: pet sitting

i'm considering starting 1 or 2 different businesses: pet sitting/walking and document scanning for both residential and business customers. i want to be 'licensed, bonded & insured'......

what is the process for these 3 items? is there a separate path for different industries or if you are bonded, you are bonded period? i'm in california, riverside county.

thank you!

Thanks for your question.

To register as a licensed professional photocopier (which is what you will want for the document scanner business), you need to go to your county clerk and ask for a registration form under CA Business and Professions Code 22450.

Before you can get this, you need to get bonded for up to $5,000.00. You will need to contact a bonding company which issues professional photocopier bonds, using a company such as: http://www.bondsexpress.com/california-bonds/california-professional-photocopier-bond-5000/

For insurance, you need to contact an insurance agent and talk to them about getting a "General Liability Policy" for your business. They will walk you through the application process.

In terms of pet sitting, there is no license/registration you need to do with the state unless you simply want to incorporate your business. The insurance that you would have would be the same sort of General Liability Policy, so ask an insurance agent.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Internationational Commercial Attorney

Pet sitting.

License: There is no license required by the state or federal government.
Bonding: Any surety company can sell you a general bond that can be sued on to recover in the event that a customer is damaged.
Insurance: General business liability insurance is available from any large insurance carrier. Contact several different agents and see what sort of quotes you can get.

Note: Dependent upon the number of animals you may choose to bring back to your residence for pet sitting purposes, you may violate local/county/municipal zoning regulations. The typical number of dogs and cats permitted in any residence without a zoning variance is four. Check with your local building and safety department.

Document scanning.

Licensing: California does not require licensing for document scanning. However, the state does provide an optional license for what is called a professional photocopier. This license permits the licensee to act as the recipient and distributor of business document subpoenas in legal actions, so that litigants can be certain that each party in a case receives all of the same evidence produced by a third party witness in the case.

Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code 22450- 22463 et seq. provides the legal foundation for the license. You can apply for the license at your county clerk-recorder office. Here are the forms:

Definition of Professional Photocopier, Who Must Register - ACR466.pdf
Professional Photocopier Registration - Individual - ACR618.pdf
Professional Photocopier Registration - Partnership or Corporation - ACR628.pdf

Bonding: A professional photocopier must provide a $5,000 bond as part of the registration process. Once again, any surety company can provide the bond instrument.

Insurance: See my answer re pet sitting above.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Retired (mostly)