How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser , Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37624
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im considering starting 1 or 2 different businesses: pet sitting

Resolved Question:

i'm considering starting 1 or 2 different businesses: pet sitting/walking and document scanning for both residential and business customers. i want to be 'licensed, bonded & insured'......

what is the process for these 3 items? is there a separate path for different industries or if you are bonded, you are bonded period? i'm in california, riverside county.

thank you!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

To register as a licensed professional photocopier (which is what you will want for the document scanner business), you need to go to your county clerk and ask for a registration form under CA Business and Professions Code 22450.

Before you can get this, you need to get bonded for up to $5,000.00. You will need to contact a bonding company which issues professional photocopier bonds, using a company such as:

For insurance, you need to contact an insurance agent and talk to them about getting a "General Liability Policy" for your business. They will walk you through the application process.

In terms of pet sitting, there is no license/registration you need to do with the state unless you simply want to incorporate your business. The insurance that you would have would be the same sort of General Liability Policy, so ask an insurance agent.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Internationational Commercial Attorney
TexLaw and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

Pet sitting.

License: There is no license required by the state or federal government.
Bonding: Any surety company can sell you a general bond that can be sued on to recover in the event that a customer is damaged.
Insurance: General business liability insurance is available from any large insurance carrier. Contact several different agents and see what sort of quotes you can get.

Note: Dependent upon the number of animals you may choose to bring back to your residence for pet sitting purposes, you may violate local/county/municipal zoning regulations. The typical number of dogs and cats permitted in any residence without a zoning variance is four. Check with your local building and safety department.

Document scanning.

Licensing: California does not require licensing for document scanning. However, the state does provide an optional license for what is called a professional photocopier. This license permits the licensee to act as the recipient and distributor of business document subpoenas in legal actions, so that litigants can be certain that each party in a case receives all of the same evidence produced by a third party witness in the case.

Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code 22450- 22463 et seq. provides the legal foundation for the license. You can apply for the license at your county clerk-recorder office. Here are the forms:

Definition of Professional Photocopier, Who Must Register - ACR466.pdf
Professional Photocopier Registration - Individual - ACR618.pdf
Professional Photocopier Registration - Partnership or Corporation - ACR628.pdf

Bonding: A professional photocopier must provide a $5,000 bond as part of the registration process. Once again, any surety company can provide the bond instrument.

Insurance: See my answer re pet sitting above.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37624
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Dimitry K., Esq.

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
  • MShore Law's Avatar

    MShore Law


    Satisfied Customers:

    Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
  • RGMacEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    15 years practicing attorney, MBA
  • J.Hazelbaker's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
  • MDLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
  • J. Warren's Avatar

    J. Warren


    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.

Related Business Law Questions