CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.

hi again i have another question this time regarding security

hi again i have another question this time regarding security my chicken restaurant is in the inner city i am wondering what rights i have tp protect myself from a robber. first do i need to get a concealed weapon permit if i want to have a gun on the property. second if so where to i apply i live in one county and my resuturant is in a nieboring county if i do have a gun at what point can i use it.

Attorney William B. :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I would like to assist you with your question today.

Attorney William B. :

Here are the requirements to receive a concealed weapons permit:,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html. If you intend to have a firearm in a concealed location on your body or a loaded firearm on your premises you would be advised to obtain a concealed weapons permit.

Attorney William B. :

The concealed weapons permit is valid statewide.

Attorney William B. :

Here is a "Frequently Asked Questions Page" for the State Police regarding concealed weapons:,4643,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html

Attorney William B. :

While the summaries above, and the requirements to obtain a concealed carry permit are detailed above, if you are interested in the details of the statute regarding firearms, including concealed weapons you can can find the entire statute for firearms here:,0,671 (it is very dense reading)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

does this mean if i own the business but not the land that i can not have the weapon on my premisises

The law as drafted is ambiguous. I have checked multiple sources in an effort to find a clear definition of this term. The only regulation I found regarding this that provided any assistance was a finding that certain areas in bars or restaurants are a "pistol free zones" for concealed carry holders. There was an express exemption from this pistol free requirement for business owners and employees.

My understanding from these two constructions is that you do not need to own the property to qualify for the business exception. Given the severity of the penalty (criminal felony charges), you may wish to check with local counsel or your local law enforcement agency (either District Attorney or Police Department) to receive confirmation.