Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

To Law Pro Following up on yesterday. The restaurant without

To Law Pro
Following up on yesterday. The restaurant without the LLC papers signed.
Can my Father leave his share in the company to a family member? The agreement that was never signed stated that upon the death of one partner the other would buy out their share. How do I proceed to make sure his share is protected?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thank you for asking for me.

In GA, in the absence of clear repurchase rights set forth in a written and executed operating agreement, a deceased member’s LLC membership interest automatically passes into the estate of the deceased member.

From there, the LLC membership interest will be distributed out of the deceased member’s estate as directed by the deceased member’s will or, if the deceased LLC member dies without a will, as directed by GA law.

In either case, the deceased member’s LLC membership interest will pass to the member's heirs or family members.

So you need do nothing - his interest automatically passes to his heirs.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).