Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.

I am getting calls from a debt collection agency. It appears

I am getting calls from a debt collection agency. It appears my daughter signed my name to a contract to a home security company. She and I are both on the mortgage. She has not been making payments. At the time she was married and that person signed the contract. What are the legal or financial consequences to me if I do not pay?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. The collection agency has no legal rights if the original home security company has no rights against you. Since you did not sign this contract, it cannot be enforced against you. Therefore, to get them to stop pursuing you on this, send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you to collect this debt. Furthermore, let them know that if they attempt to file any negative credit report against you, you will file a defamation suit against them seeking actual and punitive damages. Inform them that any efforts to contact you or to file fictitious negative reports against you will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: