Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

My company was requested to provide information that would

Customer Question

My company was requested to provide information that would include tens of thousands of emails.

Can I provide email discovery information in outlook PST format instead of converting all emails into PDF? - conversion would be a nightmare

If I have to provide all emails in PDF format, can you suggest online or offline service that can do this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is Fred and I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Has the other party requested that you produce the emails in a particular form or format? If so, did the court grant or order such request?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Their RFP "demand" is as below:

ALL DOCUMENTS REFERRING TO from to present.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
So there is no designation as to how you are to supply them with the information - correct?

It's open to interpretation and ease.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I have a follow-up question - our current attorney decided to withdraw (filed a motion). He was on retainer for 2 years, did not liked that case started to take lots of his time and after we told him that we would not provide emails in PDF, but in PST, etc, told us that we did not cooperate on discovery.

He is schedule to leave at the beginning of the next month. I am interviewing other attorneys and they do not see any problem to use PST, etc.

Related to this - can I request current attorney to tell other side to stop discovery till I will find replacement attorney?

Expert:  Law Pro replied 3 years ago.
I understand - sometimes it's best for a new outlook as to your case by changing legal representation.

You can ask but the other side doesn't have to comply. BUT, you can ask the court to postpone discovery till you get new legal representation OR, if they file a motion to compel, request additional time till you get new legal representation.

The judge is going to understand and give you additional time. BUT what you don't want is to let sit "Request for Admissions" because if they are not responded to within the requisite time - the admissions are deemed admitted. Although you could file a motion with the court to dispute such - that takes alot more time and effort rather then filing a motion immediately to postpone your required responses to discovery.

I would ask for 90 days in postponement to any discovery request because it takes time for new legal counsel to get up to speed on the case and review everything.

90 days is routinely given if the case hasn't been already scheduled for trial OR the discovery period close to ending.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

If you have any questions, about this or anything else, please ask for me, Law Pro, directly in the question and I will try to assist you as best I can.

For example, you would state, "This question is for Law Pro . . . (then on with your question).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
To clarify, attorney who is withdrawing is still with the company - he will withdraw only at the beginning of the next month.

I have to hired a new attorney yet and actively searching.

Can I request discover to be postponed in this setup? - If yes, what exactly should I request him?