TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

I was sued in court and I filed bankruptcy in order quash the

I was sued in court and I filed bankruptcy in order quash the lawsuit but the plaintiff pursued me to the supreme court. the plaintiff was awarded a judgement against me. this was in 2004, they have never attempted to collect the judgement and no judgement has ever been filed on my credit report. Am I still required to pay the judgement if they have not collected? Is there a statute of limitations on judgement or is it in affect for a lifetime ? Does interest continue to accrue if i was never notified of how to pay the judgement?

Thank you for your question.

A judgement issued in California is good for 10 years from the date it was entered. The judgment creditor may seek it's renewal for another 10 years, but must do so prior to the end of the 10 year period.

Interest continues to accrue on the judgment. The judgment creditor is not under an obligation to contact you to provide you with payment instructions. Of course, it should do that, but if it does not do that, you may contact the creditor and seek instructions.

If the creditor has not contacted you, then you should consider avoiding contact, as they may let the 10 year period run and you will then be immune from payment.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last thing what is the best way to find out when the judgement was made so I know when the 10 years has expired.

The best way to find out is to call the court that issued the judgment and ask the court clerk to look it up and provide you that information.