Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
6704987

Our condominum (not-for-profit) is incorporated and registred

Our condominum (not-for-profit) is incorporated and registred in the State of NC under the name "XYZ". We wanted to set up a website under the same name to make it accessible to everyone interested in buying property in our condominium. Is that our exclusive right to use the "XYZ" title for the website or could anyone do so without asking our permission?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : No, you don't necessarily have the exclusive right to use the title for the website just because you are a registered company with the state.
Kirk Adams : Instead, you would have to purchase the domain name separately and claim ownership that way.
Kirk Adams : If someone else already has the domain name, you would have to try and buy it from them OR sue and claim trademark infringement (which could be difficult to claim if the domain was purchased before your association was formed).
Customer:

Sorry for the delay in my answer. My computer was out of order. I have a related question. If we take a domain name of "ABYZ".org for our "XYZ" (not-for-profit) condominum association do we have a potential problem by confusing prospective buyers by having different name in the website?

Customer:

Sorry for the delay with the response. I had problems with the computer for the last few days.

Customer:

Sorry for the delay. I had problems with the computer for the last few days. I have an additional question regarding the matter and I would appreciate an advice. If our (not-for profit) "XYZ" Association takes the domain name e.g. "ABYZ" for its website would that cause problems for potential buyers of the units within the Association?

Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by West
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - thanks for the follow-up.

I don't think it's a legal problem, but it could be the source of confusion for your prospective buyers.

Roger, Attorney