Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Electric company charging me 100 usd month to make up a deposit

Electric company charging me 100 usd month to make up a deposit of 400 which I never agreed to nor given any information about this deposit of 400. They do not have this listed in their policy and cannot produce this required amount. Can I fight this?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Actually, in KY a utility company can charge a customer a deposit under certain circumstances, such as if you have had previous shutoffs or if you have not been a customer for the last 2 years. If they are not properly charging a deposit, your complaint would be to the public utilities commission. However, for the law about deposits, KY Legal AId has a short explanation with the terms and conditions upon which you can be charged a deposit, See: KY Utility Deposits. IF you fall into one of those categories, I am afraid you cannot fight the deposit.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX response and given detailed link of information, made me be able to give a sound and confident argument making it able to have the attempted deposit removed from my account.
Thank you so much. I am glad it was helpful and I hope it helps you work this out for the best.