Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

Hi, I would like to hire a programer to develop an idea

I would like to hire a programer to develop an idea for a new website. In order for me to hire the programer, I need to explain him the idea that involves new technology and algorithm. How can I protect myself ?
I dont want to disclose the idea before making sure that no one else besides me will be able to use this algorithm and technology ?

What are the right steps ?

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

In this situation consider creating a contract that he has to sign before he even gets hired--that type of a contract needs to have a 'confidentiality clause' in which the programmer agrees that the ideas that you will provide to him would be fully protected by you, are owned by you, and if he chooses to disclose them to anyone, you have the right to file suit for damages. you will likewise be able to file suit if he personally appropriates any ideas for himself. Once the programmer agrees, only then you would be free to disclose your ideas over to him as your algorithms them become protected.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will hire an indian programer, so I am afraid that the contract is worth less. Is there any form to protect my idea.

Can we patent an algorithm or a new software technology ?

Mike,

Those options, specifically patents, will take years. You cannot easily patent a process because the steps to a successful patent are extremely complicated and uncertain to prevail. The confidentiality option is far cheaper and more practical as an approach. There are no forms of protection here, you would need to create this agreement on your own.

Good luck.