Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
19305272

Can a corporation reorganize under a new structure (LLC) and

Can a corporation reorganize under a new structure (LLC) and still have legal rights under the old Corporation structure. Basically, if I form an LLC and drop my current Corporate structure, can I sue for monies due for a contract in the former Corporate name?

TMcJD :

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

TMcJD :

Yes, certainly. A corporation can convert to an LLC. This is known as a statutory conversion under CA law.

TMcJD :

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/converting-corporation-s-corporation-llc-california.html

TMcJD :

When the corporation converts to an LLC, it still has all the same rights and liabilities. So, if the corporation had the right to sue, then the LLC will still have that right to sue.

TMcJD :

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Thanks.

Customer:

Thank you,

Customer:

Thank you. Now, if the former corporation was forefieted in CA, does it need to be revived before a suit can be filed?