Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

is there any limit, established by law, how many duplicates

is there any limit, established by law, how many duplicates of share certificates may be issued by BVI company ?
Duplicate = equal to the original certificate with the same number for the same shares
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The Business Companies Act in the BVI does not state any limit on duplicate shares. The fact is that duplicate shares can only be issued to replace shares that have been lost or stolen and should, although there is no requirement in the BCA, be marked as "duplicates," to avoid fraud. Duplicate share certificates, again there is no mention in the BCA, should only be issued as a replacement for a shareholder who has lost their certificates, again because of fraud, but no limits are listed anywhere as to how many times a company in the BVI can do so.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.