Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I HAVE A HOMEOWNERS POLICY QUESTION. I HAD LEFT MY PATIO

I HAVE A HOMEOWNERS POLICY QUESTION. I HAD LEFT MY PATIO DOOR OPEN LAST WEEK AND IT STORMED DURING THE NIGHT AND I WOKE UP TO ABOUT 2
INCHES OF WATER ON MY PERGO FLOORS WHICH ENDED UP RUINING THE FLOOR! I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET ALL THE WATER UP WITH SHOP VAC AND FANS. I THEN PULLED MY REFRIGERATOR OUT AND FOUND MY TUBE TO THE ICE MAKER WAS LEAKING. I COULD NOT FIGURE WHY THE WATER KEPT COMING OUT OF MY FLOOR! SO WHAT IS COVERED UNDER WHAT IS COVERED BY A HOMEOWNERS POLICY? I DON'T WANT TO TELLTHEM THE WRONG WAY SO THEY
WILL NOT COVER MY FLOOR!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you again.

The homeowner's policy will cover water damage not caused by "rising water," which is covered by flood damage. Thus, you would have to explain that the water damage is not caused by flooding of any sort, but was caused by rain coming in your door.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

SO RAIN CAUSED BY RAIN COMING IN THROUGH THE PATIO DOOR WOULD BE COVERED? NOT THE LEEK IN MY ICEMAKER?

The leak in your ice maker would also be covered, as would be a hot water heater or dishwasher leak or leak in plumbing, just not rising water from floods.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.