Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

I have been unemployed for several years and have no choice

I have been unemployed for several years and have no choice but to default on my Sallie Mae student loan. What extent of punishment can I expect?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

There is no criminal punishment for this default. However, while SS and military retirement cannot be garnished for normal debts, I am afraid student loans are an exception to that and your SS and military retirement can be garnished for default of these loans and they can also seize your IRS refunds. Thus, it is best to try to negotiate some payments you can afford to avoid them getting a judgment against you and garnishing your pensions.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.