MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

a neighbor gave out my email address to another neighbor.

Customer Question

a neighbor gave out my email address to another neighbor. I requested that she does not distribute my email address and was told that she could give out my email address to whomever she wanted to. Is this matter an evasion of privacy after I requested specifically that it not be distributed?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. I look forward to assisting you this July 4th evening!

May I ask how she obtained your email address in the first place? That answer will help determine my answer to you. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We both were on the Board for our Association. As the Secretary, I communicated with the Board via email.

She is no longer a Board Member. Another neighbor communicated an issue to the ex-member. The ex-member replied to the troubled neighbor with a cc to me.

I informed the ex-member that all issues need to be directed to our Property Manager and please do not give out my email address. The community was notified via the community newsletter that all issues are to be directed to the Property Manager who will respond appropriately.

At this point, the ex-member responded that as long as I am on the Board she will give out my email address to whoever has an issue within the community.

Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, giving out your email violates no laws, Bety. There is no law that makes an email address confidential. If it were a situation where you had some type of written agreement stating that your email was not to be given out and it was, then you would have a potential breach of contract claim. Giving out an email, however, is not illegal. If it were, our courts would be quite busy!

Please let me know, Bety, if this has answered your question. If it has, a positive rating is much appreciated as that is the only way that we get credited and compensated for the time and expertise required to assist you with your legal questions. We receive no compensation from the Just Answer site. If, however, you need more information, please hit REPLY or CONTINUE so that we may continue our conversation.

Please also remember that we lawyers are only reporting the law to you and we do not make the laws. I look forward to chatting with you again. Thank you.