Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

In placing orders for business products, a staff member from

In placing orders for business products, a staff member from a Florida corporation (which is placing the orders) has back and forth verbal communications with an out-of-state company (providing & shipping the orders). An new verbal order for products is placed through (and in the name of) the Florida corporation. The general products are for use of the corporation and customized to fit the corporation specifications. Initial payments for the order are paid to the company via corporation check payments from the corporation. The corporation has ordered previously from the same company in the past, and has paid for the products customized for the coporation by corporation check. All communications are done through the corporation's email and street address.There is no written contract.  A dispute arises in a current product order. The company threatens to sue the corporation and sue the staff member personally. Does the staff member who placed orders on behalf of the corporation have any personal liability under Florida law?

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. No, the staff member has no personal liability. The staff member is clearly operating within the scope of employment with the corporation on behalf of the corporation and employees have no liability for the debts and liabilities of their employer. The company can threaten all they want buy any suit against the staff member individually will not prevail.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/