Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.
I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
Sorry for the delay; I had to go out of town.
The original contract is not fraudulent, it's the chargeback response that is fraudulent. I strongly suspect the response was written by the customer's husband, who signed her name to it. Technically fraud; and also filled with factual errors--and "heartstrings" pleadings, first person, in his wife's name. In addition, they've included a page of the original contract, with margin notes whited-out which hurt their case, and different margin notes inserted, which help their case. I have both of course, and he (she?) was ham-handed enough that the whiteout is clearly discernable.
What I'd like to do is to insist that my merchant account people (Intuit--I use Quick Books) immediately throw the case out and find for me on the basis of the fraud--I don't believe I need to either risk $500 or make an additional case--he/she are clearly lying, in doctoring the paperwork. I'm pretty sure that, even in California, fraudulent evidentiary documents trump contractual hair-splitting? ;-)
I thought I'd also threaten to take the thing to the DA if they won't concede, though I have no idea whether that has any juice with whomever may arbitrate this. The customer appears ready to duke it out--has already authorized his $500 additional.
I have to be realistic, though. May I ask you straight, am I shoveling sand uphill, in even trying to overcome a consumer over merchant bias? I've been in business a number of years, have processed several millions of dollars through credit card merchant accounts and have *never* had a chargeback. Am I just letting emotion overcome prudence here?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).