Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

Hello , We are currently looking for debt investors for

Hello ,

We are currently looking for debt investors for our enterprise. If we are offering collateral to offset any possible default, can we specify in the contract that the investor can NOT file suit in said occurrence of default and can only retain collateral as their only offset as to a default?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.

Yes, you can limit remedies available to investors so long as the investors are made aware of the limitation and it is signed off.

Be aware, however, that you can not limit civil remedies for fraud or misconduct, only for the failure of the investment in the normal course of the business. In other words, you are basically telling investors that there is no guaranteed return.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

GOT IT!

Now, if an investor(s) says no to only collateral as remedy and we decide to go ahead with debt financing contract, they can only sue the company for the amount laned/owed if we clearly specify as such in said contract, correct?

That is, lend us 30k, you can only sue for 30k (and other cost like attorney fees can be specified in the contract on whom has to pay, if at all, correct?)

Thanks

Thank you, Luis, for following up with me.

Yes, you can limit damages for the failure of the loan to principal and fees, with a waiver for consequential and incidental damages.

You will still want the investors to initial that specific provision.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Thank you, Luis, for your positive rating of my service to you and the generous bonus. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.