How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 55132
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a photographer. I recently shot some product photography

Customer Question

I am a photographer. I recently shot some product photography for a new client and we have a signed agreement that I was to be paid when i delivered the final images. I delivered the images within the timeframe we discussed and now they seem to think they do not have to pay me because they say "the lighting" isn't right. Which is a subjective thing to say, but, honestly, the photos turned out pretty good and are most definitely of a high professional quality. I've been working in this business for 15 years, and I know when I've made a poor photograph that needs to be reshot or taken off the bill. This client is a small company ran by some younger people. What can I do to reassure them that they can't just say, "oh I don't like these," and therefore they aren't obligated to pay for services rendered?
I have several thousand dollars in sunk costs at risk too.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. You have a legally binding and enforceable contract. You should send them a letter by certified mail demanding payment within a short specified period of time and let them know if they do not pay you within that time frame, you will have no choice but to file suit against them for breach of contract to collect it. The suit will give you the collection options and leverage that you need because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!