socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Hiring a patient

Hi, I'm an alternative health practitioner, and have treated a family under very favorable insurance policy to my medicine. Recently a daughter of this family got very serious injury and caused almost a million dollar medical bill to this family. The mom now wants a second job almost immediately, but I had been considering her as a good candidate of administrative manager and assistant for my business for long time. I'd like to know if there is conflict of interest to hire patients of mine when I make money from the health insurance already. Does it possibly make a problem? Thank you!

There is no conflict, unless you continue to treat them as a patient. Otherwise, you are in an adversarial relationship with the individual as an employee, while simultaneously owing that individual a duty of care and fiduciary as a patient.

There isn't a statutory bar to this arrangement, but you could find yourself being unable to terminate the employee, because your termination could injure them from a health care viewpoint. So, you can employ or you can treat -- but you can't do both at the same time.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I keep treating other family members of her, but finish treating her, still do I have similar conflict?

Thank you,

No conflict, because your duty to the patient is personal. It does not extend to anyone else.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh, I see! Thank you so much!!

You're welcome and good luck.