Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 years practicing attorney, MBA
19958803

Hi I am renting a house after signing a 6 month lease through

Customer Question

Hi

I am renting a house after signing a 6 month lease through a rental agency with an understanding that lease will get extended after 6 months as I have a family of 5 and will take lot to keep changing the homes.
Now the rental agency gave me a notice to vacate the house At end of july which completes 6 months notice. Initially they said tht if I find another house, then they will let me vacate earlier. Now when I want to vacate earlier, hey say I have to pay till 6 months lease is completed even though I don't stay in the house.
They won't let me talk to owner directly so I can love this by myself and they don't respond due to which I am in fix.
Can u pls advise if I have to pay even after I leave the home 20 days prior.
Any advice will e appreciated.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Are you saying that you are under a written lease for 6 months but you want to move out early?
.
And they are saying you have to pay for the entire 6 months?
.
What is your legal question I can help with tonight?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am under a written lease of 6 months. They assured orally the term will increase but instead gave a notice to vacate.
Orally they said if I find a new place, I can leave early. Now I made plans accordingly and want to eave early but their attitude is changed. And tells me owner has not yet responded to the request of leaving house early so u should stay and obliged to pay till the end of lease.
They sent me a letter of 30 day notice on June 5 and I will have to vacate in 30 days which means July 5 or max. July 24 which is the lease end term.
I iam really nervous with their attitude and my plans needs to be changed on the fly with this uncertainity.
My question is , is there a way I can vacate te house earlier serving te period of 30 days and not pay the rent till July 24. This will save me couple of thousand dollars. Please advice.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
My question is , is there a way I can vacate te house earlier serving te period of 30 days and not pay the rent till July 24.
.
From a purely legal perspective, the answer is no, you can't terminate the lease and move out early without being responsible for the rent for the entire lease terms.
.
But realistically, if you were to break the lease and move out early, then the landlord has a duty to mitigate his damages and try to re-rent the property as soon as possible. He can then only hold you liable for his actual lost rent. The law seeks to put the non-breaching party in the same position they would have been in but for the breach.
.
So if you were to move out in the next couple days and leave the place spotless, if the landlord could rent it again before July, then he couldn't hold you liable for July's rent. But if he was unable to rent it before July 24, then he could legally hold you liable for rent until then.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rental agency told me that owner doesn't plan to rent and instead he wants to sell it. I have also asked the agency to inform about my interest in buying it. But they are not responding and just want me to pay the rent till July 24 and leave.
Ok my question is
They have given a written notice which says that from the date of this notice which is June 5 , I can vacate in 30 days which is july 5 or the latest by July 24 .
Does this mean that if i vacate on July 5 , I still need to pay rent till July 24.
I am meeting the obligation of their notice to vacate in within 30 days of written notice. If I don't do that then I have time till July 24.
So what legal stand they have to ask me to pay till July 24 when they serve the notice on June 5.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
I would opine no. If they are giving you notice you can move out on the 5th of July, then I would interpret that to mean that they are letting you out of your lease early and you wouldn't be responsible for rent after that if you move out.
.
I don't see any other reason for them to give you that notice unless they were agreeing to let you out of your lease early.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mr Barrister!
Although the notice says 30 days frm this notice which is dated June 5 , I am assuming it will be July 5.
But today when I told them I am vacating the house on July 5 based on the notice, they were telling me that whether u vacate the house on July 5 or July 1. Your lease expires on latest by July 24. So u need to pay till july 24. Which I completely disagree.
If that is the case they shouldn't have served us the notice, correct?
They were also threatening me that if I fail to give them the money in July 24 they will report to credit bureaus etc etc.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
.
That is what I would think as well. I don't see any reason for them giving you a 30 day notice otherwise. If you vacate within the 30 day notice period as directed by them, I don't think a judge would agree to allow them to charge you for rent up to the 24th.
.
.
Thanks