Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

Hello, I would like to know the absolute minimum "requirements"

Hello, I would like to know the absolute minimum "requirements" and cost of being able to legally do the following without any liability (can't be sued if anything goes wrong).... I'm gonna Buy/Rent a warehoue and equipment (still thinking about whether to buy or lease):

I wanna install Car lift that lifts as 6ft up and all/most automotive tools, so that the average person can rent the place for a small charge to work on their car/truck. I'm thinking about making customers sign a piece of paper saying that they can't hold me liable for any damage or injuries/death while in the shop.... As my sole purpose is to give them the opportunity to work on their own cars and not waste their money on mechanics or even worry about having the proper tools to do the job..... so im not providing service, im providing tools for rent and the space.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies but I do not see how to do something like you describe without 'any' liability. If you are going to provide a car lift, should that lift fail, you are responsible (even if you yourself had no idea that the lift had defects). Similarly, if someone trips on your property and it may be due to a property defect or issue, you become liable. The fact you are providing tools for rent and the space, you become liable for both the space and the tools if they end up not being properly maintained. That would not make a difference as to whether or not you would rent or lease the space, the liability to you would remain the same.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will accept the liability... What are the minimum requirements to make such idea happen and cost of that ?

That is tough to answer without knowing more. The bare minimum would be potentially filing for an incorporation or an entity so as to create limited liability for yourself, obtain premises at a location that is zoned for commercial work and potentially obtain a business license in your jurisdicion The latter is very dependent on where you wish to create this business--some municipalities do not require a business license. I would also suggest business liability insurance to insure against concerns you brought up. I honestly cannot tell you how much that insurance would cost as it is based on the policy and the coverage that you are seeking.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you