MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

There was a judgement filed on my husband in VA in 2000 from

There was a judgement filed on my husband in VA in 2000 from a debt taken on in 1998. There was a garnishment notice sent to us today 6/22/2013 at our residence in NC. Has the Statute of limitations for enforcement of the garnishment lapsed? And would he be protected under NC law since this is our state of residence? This isn't a government judgement or child support, it's from a crooked timeshare company.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Unfortunately not, the statute of limitations on a judgment in VA is 20 years frm the date the judgment was issued. For your reference the law is § 8.01-251 and is available here: DANGEROUS URL REMOVED?000+cod+8.01-251 Please let me know if this does not answer your questions or if you have any follow up questions. If I have answered your questions, please positively rate my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fact that I live in NC now and not VA, does that affect the Sol or the ability for the enforcement of the judgement?
No, unfortunately not as NC recognizes VA judgments.