BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
73280834

OK, to clarify further.... if company A sues company B in FL

OK, to clarify further.... if company A sues company B in FL Small Claims court, then according to the Florida Rules, company B can respond pro se, and can propound Discovery pro se upon company A -- Is that correct?

dkennedy :

Hello, You can start discovery immediately after filing if one party is represented by an attorney. Here are the exact rules:

dkennedy :

RULE 7.020. APPLICABILITY OF RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE

(a) Generally

. Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.090(a), (b), and (c); 1.190(e); 1.210(b); 1.260; 1.410; and 1.560 are applicable in all actions covered by these rules.

(b) Discovery.

Any party represented by an attorney is subject to discovery pursuant to Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.280–1.380 directed at said party, without order of court. If a party proceeding without an attorney directs discovery to a party represented by an attorney, the represented party may also use discovery pursuant to the above-mentioned rules without leave of court. When a party is unrepresented and has not initiated discovery pursuant to Florida Rules of Civil Procedure 1.280–1.380, the opposing party shall not be entitled to initiate such discovery without leave of court. However, the time for such discovery procedures may be prescribed by the court.

(c) Additional Rules.

In any particular action, the court may order that action to proceed under 1 or more additional Florida Rules of Civil Procedure on application of any party or the stipulation of all parties or on the court’s own motion.

dkennedy, Attorney
Experience: JD degree, business owner
Thank you for requesting me for another question

Under Rule 7.050.(a)(2) A corporation may be represented at any stage of the proceedings by an officer of the corporation or any employee authorized in writing by an officer of the corporation.
Therefore if company A sues company B, then company B can respond pro se, and can ask for leave of court for discovery upon company A.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.