BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
73280834

What type of scientific or other evidence is required in order

Customer Question

What type of scientific or other evidence is required in order for a skin care product to claim reduction of the appearance of wrinkles, skin firming, or similar specific claims in the EU?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 3 years ago.

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Beginning in July of this year cosmetic products sold in the EU are obliged to comply with the new European cosmetics regulations (EC)1223/20092. The rules regarding claims made about a product will get stricter. Including keeping relevant data on file to back up any claims made about a product.

BizIPEsq. :

Article 20 states that products claims should "not be used to imply that cosmetic products have characteristics or functions which they do not have".

BizIPEsq. :

(you can find the new regulations here)

BizIPEsq. :

Therefore you will now be required to substantiate skin firming, appearance of wrinkles etc. through scientific studies and keep such proof on file.

BizIPEsq. :

in the next three years the commission will be publishing additional guidelines so this is a work in progress.

BizIPEsq. :

I trust this answered your question.

BizIPEsq. :

Please be so kind as to rate my service positively. Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work. Thank you.