BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
73280834

What Connecticut state laws should I put into the employee

What Connecticut state laws should I put into the employee handbook. We will have six employees in the state of CT. Thank ou.

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will be assisting you

BizIPEsq. :

Question: Are you creating you own employee handbook?

BizIPEsq. :

typo: YOUR own...

Customer:

Yes. Thank you.

Customer:

Yes thank you.

BizIPEsq. :

Creating your own employee handbook is quite a challenge. Do you use a payroll company?

Customer:

yes we do but they only do payroll. If you cannot answer that is fine. I will just try SHRM to see if they have a list of Connecticut state laws that should be put into the handbook. Thank you.

BizIPEsq. :

The reason why I bring this up is because Connecticut law presumes that employment is at-will and not contractual. However, representations made in employee manuals / handbooks, if not carefully drafted, may be sufficient to create a contractual employment relationship. Once a contractual relationship has been established an employer may terminate that employee only for cause.

BizIPEsq. :

"Cause" generally requires an employer to prove that an employee was terminated because of legitimate performance deficiencies, misconduct or other legal justification. In contrast, an employer can terminate an at-will employment relationship for any reason at any time (except for a discriminatory reason)

BizIPEsq. :

so as you can see if not drafted carefully the employee handbook can be a double edge sword.

BizIPEsq. :

CT does not have specific laws that would need to appear in a handbook rather a general at-will handbook is sufficient

Customer:

I was looking at laws like Bone marrow donor, breast feeding laws, etc. Thanks again, I will check with SHRM.

BizIPEsq. :

these laws generally do not apply to employee and I'm not if they would be relevant in an employee handbook