Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I just signed up with Yelp to advertise my ad banner online.

I just signed up with Yelp to advertise my ad banner online. Not only is my ad not showing as promised and after innumerable attempts to see it, they refuse to answer my complaints, answer their phone, or even provide me with a written contract explaining their policies and conditions in full. In other words, I think I'm getting scammed. They even want to charge me a Draconian "early termination penalty fee" if I ever stop advertising with them for a full year! After their miserable performance, I plan to do just that. What are my rights as an advertiser? Should I hire a business lawyer at this point?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Yelp is in default for failing to perform pursuant to your agreement. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them so that they know that not complying with your demands is going to cost them far more in the end than simply giving you your refund now. You should send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, terminating the agreement due to their default, and demanding that they refund your money in total within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as deceptive trade practice and fraud actions, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Upon winning your judgment, you can then attach any assets, including their bank accounts, to collect that judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, sir. FIVE STARS!!! Not only was your answer incredibly fast, but incredibly helpful. I never fail to recommend your service to anyone who asks (or even those who don't!). You are quite simply, a godsend.

Many thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX

NYC

Thank you so much for the kind words and the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/