Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

NOTE: The question is for Paul MJD I have an idea that

NOTE: The question is for Paul MJD

I have an idea that I want to present to a big restaurant chain.

The idea is to add a small section to their menu. I would like to present the idea in a way
that sounds "legal" because I am taking a risk that they may say "no" to me and later use the idea.

How can I sound legal, to protect my idea? Thank you.
Thank you for your new question and for asking for me.

Legally, an idea cannot be protected by copyright or trademark. Only an actual tangible item can be protected by trademark or copyright. It is for this reason most large companies will refuse to take unsolicited ideas. The only way to "protect" your idea is to discuss it vaguely with the restaurant chain and if they are interested, before you disclose the idea itself with them you would have them sign a non-disclosure/non-use agreement. However, most companies will just blow you off and would not be interested in the idea at all because they do not want to sign such an agreement I am afraid.

This is a real issue for people who come up with ideas because companies will not want to sign a non-disclosure/non-use agreement and the people cannot present their idea and try to protect it without one. It is a catch 22, sadly that all you can do is try to pitch the concept without disclosing your actual idea and try to then get them interested enough to sign the NDA.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I create my own "non disclosure agreement" or does it have to be through an attorney?

Yes, you can create your own NDA. Here are some SAMPLE NDA.