Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have started two businesses, a consulting firm and property

I have started two businesses, a consulting firm and property management company. Both of these are structured as separate LLCs and I have separate business checking & savings for each of them. I pay myself periodically by transferring funds from the business accounts into a personnel account. I do not use my business accounts to pay for any personnel expenses as I've read that this is necessary to maintain the liability protections associated with the LLCs. I do pay my federal and state estimated quarterly taxes for everything from my personnel account. By doing this, am I negating the protections provided by the LLCs or is this OK?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. What you are doing is not causing you any problems. These actions would not allow a creditor to "pierce the corporate veil" and thus would not allow a creditor of your LLC's to go after you personally. These transfers of funds are simply treated as distributions to you from the LLC and are no cause for concern.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney
Experience: 32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I have a follow-up question. By paying my estimated quarterly taxes from a personal account, am I co-mingling personal and business funds and potentially opening myself up to personal liability?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome....you are not because your quarterly taxes are your taxes, not the LLC's taxes. Your LLC's are not tax paying entities; rather their operations simply flow through to you personally and then the tax liability lies with you. Thus, it is only appropriate that you, rather than the LLC itself, pay the taxes.
Richard, Attorney
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your generosity!