Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
17219180

Hello, I have been receiving a lot of emails over the past

Customer Question

I have been receiving a lot of emails over the past few years about the potential for me to engage in horse race gambling. That's because I am a computer programmer who works with certain mathematical statistics software packages, and those advertisements are "freebies" of the marketing for those statistics packages.

Now, as far as I know, horse race gambling is illegal in the state of Texas where I live.

I have never placed a horse race bet online in the state of Texas. (I placed one once for $2 in another state many years ago, and that was the end of that, I did not win).

What I would like to know from you is, is it true that horse race gambling is illegal in the state of Texas? And second, if it is, how can I eliminate the spam about horse race gambling? And third, if it is not, do I have to get a special permit to do it from Dallas, Texas?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Horse racing and gambling on horse racing is in fact legal in Texas. However, it is not legal to gamble remotely (on-line) for horse racing in Texas.

In regard to eliminating spam, there is no legal remedy or claim tha you can make to stop someone from sending you spam. This is entirely a technology issue (i.e., you have to utilize spam blockers).

In regard to your third question, you cannot be online or remotely over the phone. Bets may only be placed at the race track.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My subsequent question in relation to that is, is it also illegal to have any software that you use at home to tabulate the statistics, (and then get in your car and go to the track and place the bet there)? The reason that I ask that is that as a matter of speculation, I would like to write such software.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely not. It is perfectly legal, and if it works, let me know!
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Internationational Commercial Attorney
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It appears to work in the concept of "backtesting" but that's not to say that it works when you actually try it.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
That's great! I wish you the best of luck.

-ZDN