TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

California: I have been dealing with a product defect problem

California: I have been dealing with a product defect problem in a $3 million house, well I received a letter from the homeowners attorney & I'm in the process of hiring an attorney.
1 month prior I asked a legal question on another popular site (AVVO) & out of 4 answers 1 attorney had the best answer & was extremely knowledgeable in the area of my problem, he offered a free phone consult. During the conversation I stated that I always hire counsel in my area, he is in Orange County, CA., and I'm in Palm Desert, CA., on a rare good day its a 2-2.5 hrXXXXXand I have a problem using my billable hrs on travel time, he then stated that his firm had an office in my area, I asked him if was staffed fulltime & he stated that they use as a satellite office & that they service many clients in my area, he named several that I knew. PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING AS IF YOU WERE IN MY SITUATION, economics is a factor to me 90% of all situations. He sent me his retainer contract & it states that the firm charges travel time for all local & long distance matters. "RED FLAGS"!!!!, every time I have used a local attorney I have never been charged for travel time to court appearances etc. How would you approach this situation, please take in to consideration the aforementioned stated hourly 1 way travel time. Please advise.

Thanks for your question.

I think its pretty clear that he is going to charge you for travel time from the OC office to the Palm Dessert office if he has to do the traveling. I also think its pretty clear that they are going to charge you for travel time even if it is from the office in Palm Desert to the Courthouse in Palm Desert.

My advice to you is to send them a message back saying that you are not going to agree to pay for travel time for any travel between their Palm Desert office and the OC office. And you are not going to pay for travel time for any attorney to come out to the Palm Dessert office from wherever that attorney might live. If they want your business, they will agree and change the terms of the contract to incorporate this. Tell them you want it agreed in writing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You confirmed my exact thoughts.

Thank you.

Glad to be of service.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,