Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.

In Oklahoma, can an electrician that is personally NOT licensed

Customer Question

In Oklahoma, can an electrician that is personally NOT licensed work under a licensed electrical CONTRACTOR without legal ramifications?

This is the scenario: we have a contractors license that is current and valid. Our jopint venture wants to do business in OK but I stopped my boss sayign that they were not licensed. And also noted that none of our workers were personally licensed in OK.

His response was "they can work under our license. It's not a problem. We are good. "

Is this correct? If not, why? If someone could just point me to the business code or whatever OK uses, I can go from there. I am familiar with the Texas OC code and Licensing Code but not at all with OK. If I am about to go to war (which is what has to happen with a woman pipes up in construction about legalities) I want to make sure I have my correct facts.

Thank you!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thomas McJD replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I will be happy to assist you, and it is my goal to make you a very satisfied customer! This may take a few minutes, so thanks for your patience.

Yes, every person performing such work must have a license.

License requirement

(a) No person, on behalf of himself or on behalf of an electrical firm, shall engage or offer to engage in, by advertisement or otherwise, any electrical work who does not possess a valid and appropriate license or registration from the Construction Industries Board pursuant to these rules.

Please let me know if I can provide additional assistance. If not, I would be grateful if you could please leave me a positive rating. I cannot receive credit for my work without your positive rating and that is the sole means of compensation for JustAnswer experts. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh I am going to give it to him, good. You just wait. Hahah. (Love being armed with statutes. There is just no arguing with - um- FACTS. Hahah.

Thank you so much!!!!!
You're welcome. Have a great day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh oh oh one more thing. :(

Can we, as an active electrical contractor represent our joint venture out of Florida? (who is NOT licensed in OK) (Statute states an contractor is limited to representing ONE firm- but does not go on to state of the necessary licensing of the firm, if there is one) If so, as long as we ensure we hire fully licensed electricians then, we are good to bill through the JV- right?

(He wants to go through the JV, don't ask me why, insanity is hard to pinpoint)

Thanks again!!!
The firm doesn't need to be licensed. It only needs a licensed contractor who can only represent that one firm.

158:40-5-3. Contractor requirements (a) Each electrical firm must have a person who is currently licensed as an electrical contractor employed full time, and who shall give full time to the supervision and control of operations necessary to secure full compliance with the provisions of the Act and these Rules. Such contractor shall be an officer, partner or owner of that electrical firm, and shall be responsible for the work of and licensed on behalf of that electrical firm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Loophole!!! Hooray!!!! Just as long as we (the licensed contractor) do the billing and hire licensed electricians to do the actual WORK, then we are good.

THANK YOU!!!!! That's why you have a JD, and I am just a mouthy chick who knows *just enough* legal jargon to sound like a know-it-all to the non-ESQ types. Ha!!
Thanks to you too. Please let me know if you need help with something in the future. Have a great day!