Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

I just asked you a question about a commercial lease and I

I just asked you a question about a commercial lease and I have another question pertaining to this lease. Potential tenant goes to Washington to rent a commercial building and then the two landlords of the building fly out to Arizona to check out the potential tenant and assets and both parties tenant and landlord come to an agreement and the landlord provides an agreement that is signed by all parties. Since the Real Estate Agreement was signed in Arizona concerning a property that will be rented in Washington, can suit be filed in Arizona against the landlord or must all suits be filed in the state where the property is located? The contract was provided and signed in Arizona.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
can suit be filed in Arizona against the landlord or must all suits be filed in the state where the property is located?
.
Yes, since the contract was actually entered into in AZ, it is AZ law that would control unless there is a "choice of forum" clause in the contract that says it will be governed by another state's law. When parties enter into a contract in one state, they are impliedly consenting to be subject to the states laws where the contract was signed. Washington could also have jurisdiction over the case because that is where the subject matter property is located.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.