Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

QUESTION FOR PAUL MJD Customer A few years ago, I complained

A few years ago, I complained to the police regarding an individual who harassed me and who in the past attempted to kidnap me. The police was not helpful. I moved to a different state (let's call it State "X" here), yet the harassment that began in the state where I previously lived (let's call it state "Y") seemed to have "stalked" me. I come from a family of politicians, my father was a US military veteran, so I was vulnerable. I am an educated person and made the reports in good faith. I emailed the governor in state "Y" explaining that I had been harassed to the extent that there was a kidnapping attempt and that the individual harassing me was a terrorist. I stated in the letter that I am a hard working American, a Christian, and a responsible American Citizen. A few days later, I received a letter from State "Y"'s Dept. of Children and Families, from the behavioral therapist. The Governor, instead of helping me, treated me like some sort of terrorist. My question: I am a writer and would like to write a blog/newspaper article informing the public that with so many kidnappings and bizarre crimes, the police and even politicians are not helping by either ignoring the warnings that could prevent crimes, or by humiliating the persons reporting the crimes. MY QUESTION IS: If I write this blog or article and mention the politician's name or the specific police department, would I be legally liable? Or If I publish the article exposing the situation without the names, would I still be liable?
I will notify Paul for you that your question is waiting for him. He will see it when he next checks his email.
Thank you for your question. I am sorry for the delay, it seems your question got lost somewhere in the list and I did not see it. Please accept my apology.

No you would not be liable for mentioning the politician or the police department as long as whatever you publish is truthful. Unlike private persons, politicians are public figures so the standard for defamation is much higher and you can mention them and even criticize them publicly without fear of them claiming slander or libel. Same with the police department, as long as you are truthful and basing your opinions on facts you would be clear from being sued in most all cases.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.