Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

I run an online company offering facebook related services.

Customer Question

I run an online company offering facebook related services. I was contacted recently by Facebook asking to close down the business. I urgently need to get legal advice from a lawyer. Thank you!
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

What is your question?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello JudgeLaw,

Thank you for your message.

I've been running an online business offering Facebook related services since January - that includes facebook likes, shares, etc. The website is www.fbviros.com

About a month or two ago I received a letter from a representative of Facebook asking to close down the business. I ignored the email because it had a basic layout and looked just like the other ones I often get from competitors.

However, yesterday my personal account on Facebook has been blocked and I received a more serious email from them again. This time it seems to be asking for more than just closing down the website, and it made me a little worried. I wanted to attach the letter but couldn't find an option here so you can view it on this link: http://unibiz.co/files/FbViro%20Medvedev%20-%20C&D%20-%20Like%20Sales%20Fb.pdf

am sure you will have a better idea by looking at the letter.

I am ready to close down the site and even transfer them the domains.. However, I will not give up the money I've earned over the past months as it seems to be too much. Also you might want to know that I am a citizen of Kazakhstan, but I've lived in Czech Republic, Prague for over 8 years now. So I am currently residing in Central Europe.

I look forward to your prompt response and appreciate the help. If there is anything you need to know please do not hesitate ask.

Best Regards,

Vlad

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Vlad, for the additional information.

I have read the letter you received and it is a fairly standard cease and desist letter.

I would question their jurisdiction over you in the Czech republic. That would be governed by treaty. However, I do not think that they have access to your accounts or funds not in the US, as far as enforcing a judgment.

The Czech republic is a signatory to various bilateral and multi lateral international copyright treaties and FB could, theoretically, seek to enforce such treaties in a federal or international tribunal.

You can surely negotiate a settlement with FB if you have, in fact violated their trademarks and copyright and such a settlement should be able to avoid disgorgment as FB is more interested in maintaining the domain and trademark integrity.

I would advise having, at least, an initial consultation with an intellectual property attorney in California and have them make contact with the FB attorney to see what your exposure is, liabilitywise. It is not usually as bad as it seems.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Hello Vlad,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Did I answer your question?

JudgeLaw